her father all but owned the news
2005-03-09, 4:30 p.m.
1. Since I last wrote you, Dear Diary and Dear Readers, I almost met Jack White. (Cue Holly Go-Lighty singing "I love Jack White like a little brutha"). I was in the very same room with him, even interacted with him very briefly, while I stood next to him, and didn't know and then wasn't sure it was actually him for a while - and only was sure as he was walking out. I can't believe it. Though I have no idea what I would say to him if I met him properly, anyway, so maybe better that I didn't actually try to say something and botch it. What would you say to one of your favorite artists if you just had just that one shot, that one opportunity? Sounds like an Eminen song from Eight Mile, doesn't it? Hey, interestingly, Eminem and The White Stripes are both from Detroit. Hmm.
2. It seems to me there are two kinds of people in the world. King of The Hill people and Futurama people. I have never met anyone who has really liked both. Everyone likes The Simpsons. The Simpsons are common ground. I haven't figured out what it means to be a Futurama fan vs. a King of the Hill fan. I suspect that Futurama fans have some degree of Sci-Fi fandom in their past (or present), though I have a small degree of it, if you consider Star Wars to be Sci-Fi. And King of the Hill fans probably have a love for the American South, or specifically, Texas. Because although the show makes fun of it, it does it in a gentle smirking way, not a slamming way. If that makes any sense. Oddly, most of my friends are Futurama people, even though I am a King of the Hill person. Not that I've watched either in a long long time.
3. My friend Bella's daughter had a "Dad's Night" at her elementary school. What? Dad's night? Hasn't anyone at that school ever read or even heard of "Heather Has Two Mommies"? Or "Heather Has A Mommy Who Has An Ex-Boyfriend"? Or "Heather Has A Mommy And A Dead Daddy"? Or "Heather Lives With Her Grandparents Because Her Mommy Is Fifteen Years Old"? Or "Heather Has A Mommy And A Donor"? I don't mean to be overly politically correct, but assuming most kids will have "Dads" seems like a dated, or even antiquated, idea, doesn't it?
4. Why don't I make more time to go to the cinema? I missed Maria Full Of Grace when it came back through town last week. This weekend, hopefully I'll make myself go see Guerrilla: The Taking of Patty Hearst . History of 1970's domestic terrorism - Yay!
5. A friend of mine was visiting some friends of his in California in their fancy Hollywood Hills home and they left him by his lonesome in their house while they went - I don't know - somewhere. He had a CD in the CD/DVD player and left the room. Then the player switched automatically to the next DVD in there. When he walked back in there was some big hot porn movie playing on the big flat screen. And I thought that sort of thing only happened *in* porn movies.